Friday, April 1, 2011

YOU Can Make a QuiLt...I have proof.


I have wanted to attempt the quilt for quite some time now, but had absolutely no idea where to begin with one.  Really, no idea.  I was scared.  So I put it off.  Over and over again.  But with a new little one coming I was feeling inspired to give it a go...somehow.  I've come to learn that the Internet can 'teach' you to do pretty much anything.  So I logged on and I searched and searched until I finally came across this, a beginning quilting series from Diary of a Quilter...she made me believe.  She's got ALL the steps spelled out for you in black and white, from what supplies to start with all the way to binding your quilt...and she's so easy to follow!  I was actually excited to get going!

So I went through my scraps...I didn't want to go out and purchase a bunch of fabric, just in case things went amiss.  I knew I wanted to use different textures and patterns since I would be using this as a little tummy time mat for baby.  So I got creative and pulled out some knit, minky, and even a ruffled pillow sham that I had left over from the nursery pillows.


I cut the back off the sham...


Then cut my squares with my rotary cutter...I used 5 inch squares.


Then it was time to lay out my squares in the pattern I thought worked.


Then following the instructions from Diary of a Quilter I started piecing my quilt and made rows with my squares...


And ironed my seams...the iron will become your very best friend during this project!


Next I sewed my rows together.


And it started to look like something that resembled an actual quilt.  I added my borders and batting and backing and really started to get excited because there were now layers to my quilt.  But the excitement came to a screeching halt when I learned that I had to baste my quilt.  Huh!?  I had never heard of such a thing!  Who knew this step existed?  And that there was spray and special basting pins involved.  Well, I was on a roll and wasn't about to throw in the towel at this point, so even with being ill prepared and without proper equipment...I rolled on, with regular old safety pins.  And I'll tell you, they worked just fine. 


Okay, so this is where I started to get a little nervous.  It was time to actually quilt...that is to say, SeW.  Preferably in straight lines.  And because I was a little lazy (and really anxious to finish) I totally skipped a step and didn't draw lines to mark where to sew...such a rebel.  I just eyeballed my way through, and do you know, some of the lines actually lined up!



So at this point I am jumping up and down that I might actually see this thing through.  All there was left to do was finish with a little binding.  So I cut my strips and pinned...


And I FINISHED that quilt!







So there it is...PrOof.
Because if I can do it, YOU certainly can too!




30 comments:

Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...

This is GORGEOUS!! I love it!! I love that gray polka-dot as the grounding fabric, I have seen that and am wanting to do something with it. I would have never thought of using a ruffle on a pillow sham! That is so cute and it adds fun texture!! I am inspired, thank you!

A Sailor's Wife said...

So jealous of your awesome sewing skills and beautiful hand made quilt!! You have no idea how bad I want a sewing machine now!!

Carmom said...

Just beautiful. I have been kicking around the idea of making a quilt. Hopefully, I will do that one day. Thank you so much for sharing!

Jenny {Heavenly Blossoms} said...

WOW. This is REALLY REALLY amazing! You did such a GREAT job!!! :) I made a quilt not too long ago for the first time. I am happy to come across this post and see the link for the how-to!! You have saved me from future headaches!

Last Minute Mel said...

This is beautiful...I love the colors you chose. Thanks so much for including a tutorial - I have always wanted to make a quilt, but have been too terrified...so you have given me hope ;)
Your daughter's nursery is beautiful..I love everything you have done. good luck in the next few days...such an exciting time for your family to welcome a baby girl

Positively Angel said...

I love it! Your baby has a beautiful room. I always struggle with selecting fabrics, I want them all. Great job!

Melanie said...

This was inspiring! I have always wanted to try quilting, but have felt some-what overwhelmed and oblivious! (I do have to learn how to use a sewing machine properly) but like you said, god bless internet tutorials!

Jill said...

Beautiful. And maybe I'm not so scared of making a quilt anymore. Maybe.

Candice said...

Congrats it looks fantastic! I love love Love it! You did a great job!!!

Lorie said...

The quilt is GORGEOUS! And I love the sham you used!

Dominique @ Craft Couture said...

So Adorable! New follower!

dominiquescraftcouture.blogspot.com

Dear Lillie said...

This is beautiful! And I love all of the colors and fabrics you used.

~Bekah said...

This is great!! I just blogged how scared I was about starting a quilt pattern from Amy butler so I will def use ur tutorial advise and Amy butlers flower designs!! Here's the post: http://bizzy-bs.blogspot.com/2011/04/2nd-tutorial-tuesday.html
Wow I'm inspired now! Thank u!!!

Annette - MyRoseValley said...

Hi there
Congratulations on your baby quilt! My story is the same as yours. Putting it off, putting it off, tackling it with help from Diary of a quilter and since then I haven't stopped. Love your color combos. Really cute. You have done a maginficant job. You should be really REALLY proud of yourself. Good luck with the baby, who by the way will LOVE those dots.

liZ said...

What a cute quilt. I just found out that I am having a girl...so the sewing season has begun!!! I love the darling nursery you made.
liZ

Barbara said...

This turned out beautifully! I love it.

Sandy said...

I too have been so terrified of starting a baby quilt, but I just saw Diary of a Quilters series and really want to try it. Yours turned out so beautifully... you should be very proud of yourself!

Richardson said...

Wow thats totally awesome, you sure you haven't been sewing/quilting in your sleep because that's so adorable. Congrats on the new baby.
Hugs,
Vicki R
sunraesban@yahoo.com

Emily said...

Oh this is just lovely!! Great job!!

Michele said...

It turned out so cute! You are obviously a natural.

Karissa said...

We find out this week if we're expecting a boy or girl and I've been looking for nursery ideas. THIS IS IT - we can do it for a boy or girl with the fabrics we select, and baby's grandma is so anxious to get sewing (and teaching me to use my own machine) for this babe. I'm so excited! Thank you for posting and congratulations on your little one!

dawnaclark said...

Great job! Popped over from UCreate and checked u out! Adorable quilt and I LOVE that u repurposed other fabric-a true scrap quilt! I've set my quilting aside for that last few years to scrapbook and paper craft, but your post makes me itch to get back to it. I too found Diary of a Quilter and she is so generous with her time and talents on her blog.
Anyway-big ups to you on your quilt! I'm sure your little one will love her tummy-time on it!

Jaedyn said...

That is SO gorgeous! I love the fabrics you chose, too. :) I've never made a quilt before but want to try - you've shown me it can be done! hehe

Anonymous said...

Adorable quilt! I love the grey fabric, can you tell me the name of it?

Anonymous said...

This is fabulous!!! I love it:)
Do you think you could maybe do a tutorial for your burpies?

Angela said...

Thanks for you!

Priscila said...

This is a beautiful quilt! You have inspired me! I am terrified but I will start my quilt project THIS WEEKEND :)

jensennp.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This quilt is FANTASTIC! I've been wanting to try, but I keep being put off by the thought of having to sew it all together. How do you run the whole quilt through your machine, keep the lines straight, and not get it bunched up on itself? (Obviously, I am a sewing newbie!)

alicia king said...

love this quilt and the patterns! do you know who makes the polka dot fabric?

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness.... I just fell in {love} with your quilt. And the bunting as well. Such a sweet and fabulous space for baby.

~Nicole