Thursday, March 31, 2011

Something for babY


For those of you who don't know, I'm getting ready to welcome my 3rd baby (first girL) in just about...well, any day now.  So as you can imagine there has been a lot of BabY on the BraIn as of late.  Especially once I realized (about a week ago) that I have not 'made' anything for her yet.  I also realized (about a week ago) that I was a little short in the blanket department...unless you count all the blue ones packed away in storage.  So in this instance what would any rational 9 month pregnant woman do...take herself to the local Target to purchase a few...probably.  But I'm a different kind of crazy and decided I would still try to make some instead.  So that I did. 


I found the fabric at Hobby Lobby.  Love it.  Also love the so very cozy minky...but must say it's a beast to sew!


I wanted to add a little something extra and turned this once felt flower Easter garland (also Hobby Lobby) into a little embellishment.


I probably should have prefaced this post by saying (and I know I've said it before...many times) I don't sew.  Never have had a lesson (unless you count me sitting on my grandma's lap at the age of 7 'helping' her sew up a few pillowcases).  I don't know the terms, don't know how to use a pattern, I'm really not quite sure if I even thread my sewing machine correctly...I'm totally winging it!  But nevertheless.  I don't think baby's even gonna notice.  What she will remember (hopefully) is that the blanket that she dragged around for years and years when she was little was made with love...crooked lines and all. 


Now call me cocky, but I finished the blanket and just couldn't stop myself.  I still had a bit of fabric left so I made a few burpies to match... which, by the way, turned out to be trickier than the blanket for what ever reason?!  It's a learning process...one that I may or may not ever tackle.




So the moral of the story for today is...go for it!  Try something new.  Something you might not have clue how to begin.  Make some mistakes.  Then try it again.  So what if the lines aren't 'PerfeCt'. That doesn't stop me.  And it shouldn't stop you either!

Stay tuned for my next installment...'CraZy Pregnant Lady That Doesn't Sew Makes a QuiLt'.  Ha!  Just the thoughts of it makes me laugh!!


9 comments:

Becca at Motherhood "perfected" said...

OOOOOH! I just LOVE that fabric!! So pretty, and I bet it is so soft! I don't sew either but you have inspired me to put to use the sewing machine and yards of fabric piling up in my "some day" corner.

Tonii said...

I am a new follower and am in LOVE with your blog! I am currently on bedrest waiting for my 4th little one to come (girl also) so I have lots of time to look at all your amazing projects and things you do. I am feeling very inspired, so thank you!!

Em @ Inspired Coincidences said...

I LOVE it!!! I have 2 sons and when/if we have a 3rd and its a girl I will definitely be making her a blanket as well! And like you, I'd be totally winging it with my sewing machine, but look how awesome yours turned out! Wow, I am completely impressed, especially with the embellishments! Did I say I love it yet!?

Anonymous said...

Where did you find the blue damask-like fabric? I've been looking for blue fabrics this color and can't find it anywhere? And I'm guessing the blue ruffled fabric came from your extra pillow sham?

Erin {A Girl and Her Craftbox Designs} said...

I love your Blog! I am giving you an award! Come check it out!

Erin
agirlandhercraftbox.blogspot.com

Veronica said...

I love the fabric, and the flowers were a great touch!

Lindsay said...

This blanket is so cute! Did you follow a tutorial to make it or just wing it? I too, don't sew but would love to make a cute blanket like this!

Mary @ Redo 101 said...

I really love that blanket - I have the same fabric from Hob Lob - I made a shower curtain out of it :) Sorry the sewing was so difficult but it really paid off - you did really good! Thanks for sharing,

Mary

Anonymous said...

Those look lovely!!! With the blankets, did you just sew inside out, flip and finish?