Wednesday, April 28, 2010

More for Mom

As promised here is a bit more for Mom. 
Along with the flowers we made for our mom's, my Activity Day girls are going to 'make' a jar of bath salts.   Homemade bathsalts was my intention in the begining. I wanted to make them from scratch using Martha's recipe...
You need only four ingredients to make these moisturizing exfoliants. The base can be made from either Epsom salts or sugar, depending on whether you want a large or fine grain. Color the scrubs with shades that are in keeping with some of the scents you use -- pink with grapefruit, for example, or green with eucalyptus. Makes about 2 1/3 cups.

Tools and Materials:

2 cups Epsom salts or organic cane sugar

1 cup carrier oil

8 drops essential oil(s)

1 drop food coloring

Special equipment: plastic pipette, canning jars


Great idea, huh?  Yes, but then I went to look for all the supplies and ended up not finding everything I needed and realized that it was probably cheaper to buy it done for us already in a big bag like this...
Edited to add:  I found these at Walmart


All we need to do is add some food coloring to add a touch of color,



Top with our flowers and we're done.







Don't know if I can qualify that as a whole activity...but I figure it will leave us time to write a nice letter to our mom's that we can attach to our almost homemade bath salts :) 
It's the thought that counts, right?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling! May I ask where you got the packages of already made salts. Thanks for the cute idea!

The Grant Family said...

Where did you get the cute jars for these?