Friday, March 19, 2010

LuCky CuppY CaKes

Edited:  I've added a How To here if you're interested in making these.


I know, I know...I'm late again with this post.  But that's the way I roll...LaTe.  I figure I made all of these and took the pictures, so I might as well post them.  Just save the idea for next year.  Or even better, take the idea and make it work for the next holiday, party, celebration you're having.


I made a few cupcakes on St. Patty's Day.  The hubs was put in charge of treats for his youth group of about 60 or so teenage boys and girls.  So of course there had to be enough for everyone to have two...did mention they were for teenagers?


A little food coloring goes a long way.  You can change the color of your cupcakes to match any occasion...red/pink for Valentines, orange for Halloween, red, white and blue for the 4th of July.  I did these ones rainbow colored to go with the leprechaun/end of the rainbow theme...



They're even rainbow on the inside.



And of course there had to be some chocolate...wouldn't these be fun with mint frosting?


Fun and festive aren't they?


For the frosting I whipped up my favorite buttercream frosting (recipe below) then put it into a plastic bag, snipped the corner of the bag and pipped the frosting into swirlies on top of the cakes. 


So there you go.  Cinch.
Now go make some fun festive cuppy cakes of your own!



Easy Butter Cream Frosting:

1/2 cup butter
1 lb. powdered sugar (approx. 4 cups)
3 TBS milk
2 tsp vanilla

Mix the butter until smooth and creamy.  
Add sugar, milk and vanilla on slow speed. 
Continue to mix until light and fluffy.


Edited to Add:  The rainbow candies are Airhead Extremes, usually can find them in the candy isle at the grocery store.  I believe I've seen them at the dollar store, too.  Also, I used gel food coloring to get more vibrant colors for the rainbow cake. 

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you get it to be so red? What kind of coloring did you use? I can never get red; it always just stays pink... oh, and the chocolate cupcakes look really yummy!

the fiCkLe piCkLe said...

Hey Ash...have ya tried the gel food colors? I think that's what I used for the red...I really don't remember, I had a little bit of everything going on. But I do think the gel colors work a little better for getting darker colors.

Anonymous said...

I just spied these over on Sisters stuff... and had to tell you... I LOVE them!! They're actually the most incredible happiest looking little things I ever saw! =)

Sumo @ Sumo's Sweet Stuff said...

Love these! I am doing a rainbow themed bday party for my baby this month, and I'm going to have to make these! What are those rainbows - some sort of candy?

Unknown said...

fantastic idea! Definitely will be sending my readers your way!

hugs! Kim @ Party Frosting!

Anonymous said...

these are super cute!!!how do you do the rainbow food coloring? and what is the rainbow candy?

Anonymous said...

I've never made buttercream frosting before... Do you use real butter or margerine?

Colony's Cakes said...

please reveal what the rainbows r made of! my daughter is having a rainbow birthday party and these r perfect!!! all so adorable!

katie said...

These are super cute. How did you get the cupcakes to be rainbow and what did you use for the rainbow on top? Definately going to try these for my son's preschool class on his snack day this month. Thanks for the inspiration.
katie

Anonymous said...

These are so cute! I love them all!

I think that rainbow candy is Airhead XTREMES sweetly sour belts. I saw it recently on another St. Patty's day treat. It is the perfect rainbow!

Tanya said...

I found the airhead candy in the dollar section in the front of Target. They had it at Smart and Final as well.

michelle's 10 things said...

My daughters and I LOVED your fun ideas. I put your picture with your blog name and link on my blog. I hope that was o.k. (I wanted to save the great idea.) THANK-YOU SO MUCH.