Thursday, March 25, 2010

Curtains!



Am I a dork if I'm really excited about accomplishing something as straight forward as curtains?  Awh, what do I care...
I MADE cuRtains, and I'm excited about it.

Okay, actually...it was just A curtain. 
One simple panel. 
And so what if I kinda cheated and used these...


If you haven't discovered the drapery clip, let me tell you...they will change your life.  For a couple of bucks you can hang you curtains in a snap and add a little interest at the same time.  I love them!

I did have to use my brain a little and get a creative with the fabric.  I really wanted a horizontal, wide striped fabric (preferably in black and white).  Well, guess what...you can't find it.  At least not in this part of the country.  I know, I looked...everywhere.  So I had to improvise.  I used 2 yards of this fabric (from Walmart) which was a vertical striped print.


To fix that problem I sewed two pieces together (1 yrd each) to make my panel long enough to reach the length I wanted.  Does that make any sense at all?  Sorry people, I don't know all the technical sewing terms.  And I know what you're thinking...what about the BiG fAt seam down the middle of the drape?  I was really careful to match up the pattern and sew a straight line (er, straight enough) right down the line of the stripe on the fabric.  And really you don't notice it unless you REALLY look for it.


After thinking that hard about making the stripe run the right way, I hung them up and ran into another small problem...they were too long.  But thank goodness for those cheater drapery clips I was able to make a simple fold at the top of the panel and...voiLa.  Problem solved.



I got it done. 
So what if there were a few snaGs. I was able to make it work (my way). And now I'm a BiG dork who is happy she has one black and white, wide horizontal striped curtain panel...that I made all by myself (did I mention that already?).
:)

This is one of the simple changes I've made to our play room, but think they make a BiG impact against the teal walls.  I love me a little contrast! 
See them just pOp there in the background...makes me happy. Yup. I'm a dork.

4 comments:

britt said...

looks good, you are a creative thinker!

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

CUUUUUUTE! The rings changed my life!

Anonymous said...

Those are ridiculously cute! I hope to be like you when i grow up :)

Presley family said...

LOVE IT!!!